For details, call the admin offices 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 330-867-5511.
Last updated September 19, 2023.
Potentially harmful algae has been observed at Silver Creek Metro Park. Avoid water that looks like spilled paint, is discolored or has surface scums. Avoid swallowing water and keep pets away from algae.
Harmful Algal Blooms
Please note that the paddling access point at the Oxbow Area of Cascade Valley Metro Park is for expert paddlers ONLY. This area includes challenging strainers.
The park district is conducting boundary surveys to identify property boundary lines. In this type of survey, the surveyor sets (or recovers) property corners and produces a detailed plat or map. To accomplish this, the surveyor researches public records and conducts field research by taking measurements and performing calculations. The areas being surveyed are as follows:
- Freedom Trail, between Mill Street and METRO RTA Transit Center (Akron)
- Gorge Metro Park, along Highbridge Trail (Akron)
- Ohio & Erie Canal, near Chippewa Creek and the Tuscarawas River (Clinton)
- Ongoing: The Towpath Trail is detoured north of the Summit Lake Community Center while the City of Akron and Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition perform construction.
Cascade Valley Metro Park
- Ongoing: The Chuckery Area is closed for tree removal and site preparation associated with the removal of the Gorge Dam. Following this work, the City of Akron will begin preparations for the Northside Interceptor Tunnel (NSIT) in the same area. The Chuckery Area will continue to be closed as necessary for public safety throughout the Gorge Dam and NSIT construction work, with closures expected to last through most of 2024. Learn more.
Firestone Metro Park
- 9/28/23: Redwing and Willow Trails will be closed for natural resources management until 1 p.m.
Furnace Run Metro Park
- Through Nov. 2023: SR 21 (Brecksville Rd.) to I-77 south is CLOSED through November 2023 for pavement work. The detour is Brecksville Rd. to Snowville Rd. to Barr Rd./Townsend Rd.
Gorge Metro Park
Hampton Hills Metro Park
Mountain Bike Trails will be closed during wet or dangerous conditions. Status updates are shared via Twitter. Please check before you ride: @SMPmountainbike. Please note: Twitter currently requires users to log in with an account to view current tweets. We apologize for the inconvenience. The Mountain Bike Trail status is displayed at the Hampton Hills Metro Park Mountain Bike Area lot, or you may call our administrative office during business hours: 330-867-5511.
Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park
- 9/2/23: The Ohio Division of Wildlife is operating a controlled waterfowl hunting program on Nimisila Reservoir through February 5, 2024. Please contact the Ohio Division of Wildlife at 330-644-2293 with questions.
- Ongoing: To align with the park district’s mission to protect natural resources, Summit Metro Parks biologists recently increased the protective buffer around the reed beds used by purple martins at Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park. We understand that this decision may be disappointing to some visitors. Unfortunately, in recent years kayakers and boaters have encroached into the birds’ space, discouraging them from using this valuable habitat on their seasonal journey to South America.
Sand Run Metro Park
- Permanent closure: After carefully considering options for the future of the Jogging Trail at Sand Run Metro Park, Summit Metro Parks has determined the section of Sand Run Parkway between Portage Path and Merriman Rd. will remain closed to vehicles to protect wildlife and allow for future trail connections. Pedestrians are welcome to use this section of the parkway until permanent improvements are complete. Parking is available at the Old Portage Area.
Silver Creek Metro Park
The Cross Country & Disc Golf Course area will be closed for scheduled events on September 24, October 4, 7, 8, 12 and 14, and November 11.