For details, call the admin offices 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 330-867-5511.
Last updated March 24, 2023.
Please note that the paddling access point at the Oxbow Area of Cascade Valley Metro Park is for experienced paddlers ONLY. This area includes challenging strainers.
For status updates on the Hampton Hills Mountain Bike Area, visit Twitter.
Construction will begin soon to remove a bridge connecting the water treatment plant and compost facility in north Akron. During this time, there will not be an accessible pathway for kayakers on the Cuyahoga River Water Trail heading north of Merriman Valley to Bath Road. Please plan accordingly.
Water lines at the Metro Parks have been winterized and drinking fountains are currently turned off. Please remember to bring water for your visit.
- Ongoing: The Towpath Trail is rerouted around the KB BioEnergy plant while the City of Akron performs work associated with its ongoing sewer project.
- Ongoing: The Towpath Trail is detoured north of the Summit Lake Community Center while the City of Akron and Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition perform construction, expected to be complete in June 2023.
Cascade Valley Metro Park
- Ongoing: Beginning December 5, the Chuckery Area is closed for tree removal and site preparation associated with the removal of the Gorge Dam. Following this work, the City of Akron will begin preparations for the Northside Interceptor Tunnel (NSIT) in the same area. The Chuckery Area will continue to be closed as necessary for public safety throughout the Gorge Dam and NSIT construction work, with closures expected to last through most of 2023. Learn more.
Gorge Metro Park
- Ongoing: A portion of Highbridge Trail is closed until further notice due to a damaged pedestrian bridge. Because the area will be disrupted by upcoming sewer construction and any repairs would be temporary, SMP will construct a permanent solution once sewer work is complete. Visitors may continue to use the trail from the Highbridge trailhead parking lot (1.5 miles out and back).
- 06/09/23: The archery range at the Tinkers Creek Area will be closed from 3 to 8 p.m. for an archery program.
Munroe Falls Metro Park
- 11/21/22: The lake is closed to fishing and boating for the winter season. It will reopen spring 2023.
Sand Run Metro Park
- 2/7/23: Through mid-July, Sand Run Parkway will be closed to vehicles from Sand Run Rd. to Portage Path (see details below). Learn more about how we are restoring and protecting the park district’s oldest and most-visited park here.
- Through March 31, the parkway will be closed Mondays at 7 a.m. to Thursdays at 5 p.m. The road will reopen each Thursday at 5 p.m. through Monday at 7 a.m. The Jogging Trail remains open.
- Beginning April 3, the parkway will be closed from Sand Run Road to the vehicle ford for stream restoration. A portion of the Jogging Trail in the same area will also be closed for culvert replacement. The closures are expected to last about a month.
- Permanent closure: After carefully considering options for the future of the Jogging Trail at Sand Run Metro Park, Summit Metro Parks has determined the section of Sand Run Parkway between Portage Path and Merriman Rd. will remain closed to vehicles to protect wildlife and allow for future trail connections. Pedestrians are welcome to use this section of the parkway until permanent improvements are complete. Parking is available at the Old Portage Area.
Silver Creek Metro Park
- 3/27/23: The fishing dock will be closed beginning March 27, 2023, for replacement. The closure is expected to last about five days.