For details, call the admin offices 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 330-867-5511.
Last updated September 20, 2021
For status updates on the Hampton Hills Mountain Bike Area, visit Twitter.
As Summit County was recently designated as an area of substantial spread, beginning Monday, August 9, masks will be strongly recommended for visitors age 2 and over in Summit Metro Parks offices, nature centers and rental facilities, regardless of vaccination status. We will continue to monitor all guidance from public health officials and make any updates on this page and on social media. All facilities remain open. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we all work together to keep our community safe!
Cyanobacteria, often called blue-green algae, are bacteria that are naturally found in Ohio lakes, ponds and slow-moving streams. Although many species of algae do not produce toxins, some species of blue-green algae can cause Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs) which can potentially impact the health of people or animals who come into contact with water where HABs are present in high numbers. Any specific alerts will be listed by park below. Learn more.
- Ongoing: The Towpath Trail is rerouted around the KB BioEnergy plant while the City of Akron performs work associated with its ongoing sewer project.
- Ongoing: Beginning in April and continuing through September, maintenance work will be conducted on a railroad bridge crossing the Towpath Trial near Beech Street in downtown Akron. No trail closures are expected as a result of this work.
Gorge Metro Park
- 7/13/21: A portion of Highbridge Trail is closed while the park district considers options to address a damaged pedestrian bridge. SMP crews have monitored the bridge for several years and after recent heavy rains, it has been closed for public safety. Visitors may continue to use the trail from the Highbridge trailhead parking lot or the Chuckery Area trailhead sign to the bridge (1.5 miles out and back from both directions).
Munroe Falls Metro Park
- 9/2/21: The bathhouse restrooms are closed for repairs.
Sand Run Metro Park
- 9/24/21: Sand Run Parkway and the Jogging Trail will be closed on Friday, September 24 & Saturday, September 25 for the Akron Marathon. The trail and road will reopen between Sand Run Rd. & Portage Path Saturday afternoon.
- 7/6/21: Summit Metro Parks is making a series of grant-funded infrastructure and ecological improvements within Sand Run Metro Park. Additional projects necessary to the park's long-term sustainability will result in rolling trail and parkway closures through 2022 (more information available here). The parkway is currently CLOSED to vehicle traffic between Revere and Sand Run Roads. The Jogging Trail is currently closed in the same section, as well as the Revere Rd. parking lot.
- Ongoing: Motorists are advised that the half-mile section of Sand Run Parkway between Portage Path and Merriman Road is closed while Summit Metro Parks considers solutions for addressing an aging culvert. The road closure was recommended by the Summit County Engineer’s Office and is effective as of 9/3/19. Pedestrians are welcome to use this section of the parkway - parking is available at the Old Portage Area.
Silver Creek Metro Park
- 9/7/21: The roadway in Silver Creek Metro Park will be closed in front of the dam from 9/7 through 9/10. These daily closures will reopen at 4 p.m. each evening. The remainder of the park remains open.
- The Cross Country Course will be closed to the general public for race events on the following dates:
Wood Hollow Metro Park
- 9/25/21: A large charity event is planned at Wood Hollow Metro Park on Saturday, September 25. Parking will be limited from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. during the event.