Sunday, May 5, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.
NATURE REALM GARLIC MUSTARD PULL
Growing, growing, gone! Learn about this invasive plant, then hike Seneca Trail at F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm and start pulling. No need to register! Gloves are recommended and bags will be provided. Meet at the parking lot.
Looking for a service project for your co-workers or group? Group projects with Summit Metro Parks are generally scheduled from April through early October.
If you have a group that is interested in and is a match for any of the listed projects, please email email@example.com.
Currently, we have a need for groups to match these volunteer projects:
SUMMIT LAKE CLEAN UP
Clean up trash and debris along the shore of Summit Lake, 390 W. Crosier St., Akron.
Ideal group size is 5-15 adults for 2-3 hours. Adults are preferred due to proximity to water. Weekdays are preferred but a weekend may be possible. This is a light to moderate project, with ongoing opportunities to volunteer.
CONFLUENCE CLEAN UP
This project is the removal of trash and old dump sites at Confluence Metro Park, 2560 N. Turkeyfoot Rd., Akron. Ideal group size is about 5-20 older youth and/or adults) for 2-4 hours. This is a moderate to strenuous project. Weekdays are preferred but not essential, with ongoing opportunities to volunteer.
CLINTON TOWPATH CLEAN UP
This is project is cleaning up trash on the southern section of our Towpath Trail, 2749 North St., Clinton. Ideal group size is 5-10 of any age for 1-3 hours. Weekdays are preferred but a weekend may be possible.
If the above projects do not fit your criteria, we will need the following information in order to research a project to propose to your group:
- Group Name
- Main contact information (name, phone, and email)
- Preferred dates and times (include if a weekday/weekend is needed as well as length of service, full or half day)
- Approximate number of participants (youth, adult)
- Preferred location if any
- We also require each participant to complete the appropriate waivers and releases. These forms will be emailed to you once a project is confirmed. The completed forms should be brought with you and returned to staff upon arrival at your project.
- Any other information that you think would be helpful in researching potential opportunities, such as:
- The purpose of your project
- Requirements of your program
- Areas of interest
- To propose projects we need at least 4-6 weeks advance notice. For larger groups, please allow more time.
If you are interested in a project, please provide responses to the requested information above to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a project is secured, then confirmation materials will be emailed directly to the group coordinator with a map, directions, forms, and full contact information of the staff point person for the project as well as any other information that will help make the day a success. Please allow 1-2 weeks to process your request.
Thank you again for your interest. We look forward to working with you to find your group a meaningful volunteer service project.
Eagle Scout and Gold Award Projects
Thanks for your interest in performing your Eagle Scout or Gold Award project with Summit Metro Parks. We encourage you to visit Summit Metro Parks to generate a project idea to propose. Successful proposals identify an area of need to enhance our mission or are a creative and sustainable project that adds unique value to the organization. Please note that all projects are not necessarily a match to park needs and alternative concepts may need to be developed and proposed.
We receive more requests for projects than we can realistically place. We will do our best to explore with staff if the proposed project meets our needs, and let the scout know the determination in a timely manner. (Note, we are no longer seeking park benches, bat/bird houses and bridges as scout projects.)
The following information is required in order to explore if a potential project exists:
- Full Contact information (name, phone, and email)
- Preferred location
- Preferred time frame of completion or installation
- Project proposal (Include all known details. Park benches, bat/bird houses, and bridges are no longer accepted for scout projects.)
- Troop Number and Scout Master’s name and contact info
- Date of your 18th birthday (Projects must be proposed at least 6 months in advance.)
If you are interested in a project, please provide responses to the requested information above to email@example.com
Please allow 1-2 weeks to process your request with the park manager.
If the scout’s proposal looks beneficial to Summit Metro Parks, the scout will have an opportunity to meet with the park manager for an interview to discuss.