For details, call the admin offices 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 330-867-5511.
Last updated May 29, 2020
For the latest information on policies, closures and cancellations related to the pandemic, please see below and visit our COVID-19 update page.
The safety of our visitors and staff is our top priority. At the guidance of public health authorities, parks and trails remain OPEN, with the exception of alerts noted below.
For status updates on the Hampton Hills Mountain Bike Area, visit Twitter.
facilities & amenities
- At the guidance of health authorities during the COVID-19 outbreak, Summit Metro Parks has closed indoor facilities (F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center, Liberty Park Nature Center, Summit Lake Nature Center, Administrative Offices Lobby, Volunteer Center and all rentable lodges) to the public.
- For public safety, the park district has also closed shelters, play areas and exercise stations.
- Drinking fountains remain off and some restrooms are closed to conserve supplies - please see below for open restroom locations.
- Rolling parking limitations and ammenity closures are in effect at busy locations.
The park district has closed some restrooms to conserve supplies until they can be restocked. Current OPEN restrooms include:
- Bike & Hike Trail: Route 303, Brust Park and Young Rd.
- Cascade Valley Metro Park: Chuckery Area, Oxbow Field #4 and Overlook Area
- Deep Lock Quarry Metro Park: Main lot
- Goodyear Heights Metro Park: Eastwood Rd. and Newton St. back lot (by the community gardens)
- Gorge Metro Park: Main lot (closed temporarily for maintenance as of 5/29/20)
- F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center
- Firestone Metro Park: Tuscarawas Meadows Area
- Freedom Trail: Middlebury Trailhead (portable toilet only)
- Furnace Run Metro Park: Brushwood Area and Daffodil Trail
- Hampton Hills Metro Park: Akron-Penninsula Rd. lot
- Liberty Park: Nature Center (portable toilets only) and Tinkers Creek Area
- Munroe Falls Metro Park: Shady Beach Shelter lot and Tallmadge Meadows Area
- Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park: SM2 Lot (portable toilet only)
- O'Neil Woods Metro Park: Main lot
- Sand Run Metro Park: Big Bend Area, Treaty Line Area, Old Portage Area, Wadsworth Area and Revere Rd. lot
- Silver Creek Metro Park: Beach lot, Pheasant Run Area and Big Oak Area
- Springfield Bog Metro Park: Main lot
- Towpath Trail: Mustill Store, Wilbeth Rd., Route 93, Wolf Creek Trailhead, Vanderhoof Rd., Center Rd. and Clinton Trailhead
- Wood Hollow Metro Park: Main lot
- 5/1/20: The Towpath Trail will be closed from Fairview Avenue south to Robinson Avenue, a distance of 1.2 miles, for approximately 90 days while Ohio Department of Natural Resources works to cap an oil and gas well adjacent to the canal corridor. The Fairview Avenue parking lot will be closed as well. Please note, this start date has been updated from the previous announcement in March to reflect the construction schedule.
- Spring/Summer 2020: Beginning in early March, the Towpath Trail will be rerouted around the KB BioEnergy plant while the City of Akron performs work associated with its ongoing sewer project. The trail is anticipated to be restored by August 1, 2020.
- Ongoing: Due to sewer work being completed by the City of Akron, the trail is rerouted between Memorial Parkway and the Mustill Store Trailhead, just north of downtown. The new route will be in effect for several years. Get more information on this project.
- Ongoing: The Memorial Parkway Trailhead will be closed through mid-2020 due to a City of Akron CSO construction project. The restrooms will be open. A small portion of the Towpath Trail near the trailhead will be detoured around the construction area. Trail users may park at the Dog Park parking lot.
Cascade Valley Metro Park
- Ongoing: Cuyahoga Street open but under construction due to a City of Akron sewer project and is currently closed between the Chuckery Area and Uhler Street. Chuckery is accessible from the north (Sackett Ave.). Learn more about this project.
- 5/23/20: Chuckery Area is temporarily closed for a City of Akron paving project.
Munroe Falls Metro Park
- 4/2/20: Using grant funding, the park district will make improvements to entrance drive at Munroe Falls Metro Park. The work is expected to conclude by June 8, and the entrance will remain open to traffic throughout the project.
Sand Run Metro Park
- Ongoing: Motorists are advised that the half-mile section of Sand Run Parkway between Portage Path and Merriman Road is closed while Summit Metro Parks considers solutions for addressing an aging culvert. The road closure was recommended by the Summit County Engineer’s Office and is effective as of 9/3/19. Pedestrians are welcome to use this section of the parkway - parking is available at the Old Portage Area.