For details, call the admin offices 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 330-867-5511.
Last updated August 17, 2017
- 2017 Tick Alert: Mild winters have resulted in what our biologists are calling a tick "explosion." They can be picked up on low-growing vegetation any time temperatures are above freezing, but they are most active in spring and fall. Click here to learn more, including ways to avoid and remove ticks.
Bike & Hike Trail:
- 08/15/17: FirstEnergy will be replacing a utility pole north of Valley View Road near the Bike & Hike Trail. The trail will remain open, but users could experience some temporary delays.
- Ongoing: Work continues on the the Bike & Hike Trail at the new tunnel between Norton and Sowul roads in Stow. Beginning Monday, 8/14, daily closures will be in effect for approximately three weeks as contractors pave the trail in the area.
- Through 08/25/17: The Manchester Road parking lot is closed due to construction.
- 09/30/17: An organized run will see 150 on the Towpath Trail between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., between Memorial Parkway and the Big Bend Trailhead.
- Through 2019: Due to sewer work in Akron, the trail is rerouted between Memorial Parkway and the Mustill Store Trailhead, just north of downtown. The new route will be in effect for several years. To learn more, click here.
F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm
- 09/04/17: The visitors center will be open Labor Day, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Firestone Metro Park
- Beginning 06/05/17: Dominion East Ohio will be repairing an existing gas line in the Tuscarawas Meadows Area. The park and parking lot will remain open during construction.
Goodyear Heights Metro Park
- 08/26/17: A cross-country meet will see about 450 to 500 participants in the area off Newton Street.
- 09/02/17: A cross-country meet will see about 750 people in the area off Newton Street, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Gorge Metro Park
- Ongoing: Until further notice, Gorge Trail is closed for repairs in the section beyond Mary Campbell Cave.
- 08/25/17: The ground-level archery range stations in the Tinkers Creek Area will be closed for naturalist-led programs from 3 to 8:30 p.m. August 14, and from 2:30 to 8 p.m. August 25.
Munroe Falls Metro Park
- 08/26/17: Some of the Lake Area may be closed from 6 to 11 a.m. as a large running event takes place.
Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park
- Ongoing: We have several tons of FREE wood chips available in the lot at 5550 Christman Rd., Akron. Just pull up and take as much as you want.
- Ongoing: The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) is cutting trees along their dam at Nimisila, off Jones Drive and South Main Street. Though Summit Metro Parks manages Nimisila, the park is owned by the State, and the maintenance, safety and operation of the dam is the responsibility of ODNR. Summit Metro Parks is not responsible for the tree work. Please call ODNR with questions.
Silver Creek Metro Park
- 09/07/17: The Cross-Country Course will be closed from 2 to 8 p.m. due to men's and women's cross-country races.