For details, call the admin offices 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 330-867-5511.
Last updated April 28, 2017
Bike & Hike Trail:
- 04/17/17: The Bike & Hike Trail between Sowul and Norton roads in Stow will be closed weekdays, daily from 4/17 to 5/1. Half of the trail will be re-opened daily at 5 p.m. The trail will be completely open on weekends.
- 04/18/17: A contractor for the City of Stow will remove trees and stumps along a retention pond adjacent between Progress Parkway and Bunker Lane. This work is expected to take about one week, dependent on weather. The trail will remain open, but visitors may experience temporary delays while equipment is accessing the site.
- 06/04/17: A bicycle ride of up to 500 people will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. between Highland and Hines Hill roads, and between Boston Mills and Barlow roads.
- 05/06/17: The City of Akron's Blue Heron Homecoming event near the Mustill Store may attract more than 800 people. Parking will be limited.
- 05/20/17: An organized run will see 400 people on the Towpath Trail, from the Merriman Valley to Big Bend and back, between 9 and 9:30 p.m.
- 06/10/17: A cycling event will see 140 riders follow the trail from Cleveland, through Summit County and into Stark and Tuscarawas counties.
- 07/08 & 07/09/17: An endurance run will bring approximately 150 runners to the Towpath Trail between Cleveland, Akron and Stark County. It will begin early July 8 and end by 11 a.m. July 9.
- 09/30/17: An organized run will see 150 on the Towpath Trail between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., beginning at Memorial Pkwy. to the Big Bend Trailhead then back, ending at Memorial Pkwy.
- Through 2019: Due to sewer work in Akron, the trail is rerouted between Memorial Parkway and the Mustill Store Trailhead, just north of downtown. The new route will be in effect for several years. To learn more, click here.
Firestone Metro Park
- 05/19/17: A school field trip will bring up to 150 students to Little Turtle Pond between 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Everyday visitors can expect a number of buses and extra traffic.
- Beginning 06/05/17: Dominion East Ohio will be repairing an existing gas line in the Tuscarawas Meadows Area of Firestone Metro Park, from June 5 through June 30. The park and parking lot will remain open during construction.
Goodyear Heights Metro Park
- 05/31/17: A school field trip will bring hundreds of students to Pioneer Shelter between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Everyday visitors can expect a number of buses and extra traffic.
- 04/27/17: Bluebird Trail will be closed as the park district constructs the new Coyote Run Trail in the Twinsburg Ledges Area of the park.
- 05/20/17: A benefit walk will utilize the trails in the Twinsburg Ledges Area from 8 to 11 a.m. About 200 people are expected.
Munroe Falls Metro Park
- 04/29, 05/06 & 05/13/17: Approximately 150 people will be in the Lake Area from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. for a bicycle series event.
- 06/18/17: A 5K run/walk will take place at the Lake Area from 8 to 9:30 a.m. Expected attendance is approximately 400.
- 06/24/17: The Lake Area will be closed from 6 to 10 a.m. for an annual triathalon event.
- 08/26/17: Parts of the Lake Area may be closed from 6 to 11 a.m. as a large running event takes place.
Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park
- Ongoing: We have several tons of FREE wood chips available in the lot at 5550 Christman Rd., Akron. Just pull up and take as much as you want.
- Beginning 11/23/16: The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) is cutting trees along their dam at Nimisila, off Jones Drive and South Main Street. Though Summit Metro Parks manages Nimisila, the park is owned by the State, and the maintenance, safety and operation of the dam is the responsibility of ODNR. Summit Metro Parks is not part of the current tree work. Please call ODNR with questions.
Wood Hollow Metro Park
- 07/01/17: Access to the park will be limited starting mid-afternoon, as the City of Hudson will be hosting its fireworks celebration and closing Barlow Road, blocking off the park entrance.