Many parks exist due to the foresight of a few visionary individuals, including F.A. Seiberling. He donated more than 400 acres to expand Sand Run Metro Park. Land that he owned from 1920 to 1948 was purchased by Summit Metro Parks in 1964 to become the Nature Realm.
Seiberling co-founded Goodyear Tire & Rubber in 1898 and played a leading role in developing Akron from a small town into the “rubber capital of the world.”
His interests went well beyond tires. He helped form the original Akron Metropolitan Park District and was a member of the Board of Park Commissioners from 1924 to 1935.
Today, the Nature Realm is a special-use area that has been set aside for the study and enjoyment of nature. For the protection of this park and the safety and enjoyment of other visitors, please follow these simple guidelines:
- Dogs are not permitted at the Nature Realm.
- Bicycles are only permitted in the parking lot. Rollerblading and cycling are not permitted on the trails.
- Remain on designated trails and walkways. Do not climb trees and other structures.
- Refrain from picking flowers, walking in garden beds and collecting plants.
- Professional photography, wedding ceremonies and the use of portable cooking grills are not permitted.